About Our School

About

Happy Hollow School

Opened in January, 1955, the Happy Hollow School is the oldest of Wayland's "new" schools. Enrollment in the school has ranged between its opening number of 225 pupils and 590 during the sixties when school additions were constructed in rapid succession. The school underwent space additions in 1963, 1974, and 1999. Its core facilities were renovated in the summer of 1993. Currently, it houses an enrollment of about 425 children in 20 class sections, grades 1-5, with about 70 full-time and part-time faculty and support staff.

The school has a system of core values which it attempts to live out through active teaching of social competencies skills. Key to the school's success is its instructional program which is rich in literature, mathematics, composition and technology. Music, art, physical education, library and research skills, band and orchestra are all part of the school's basic program. Happy Hollow has a long established philosophy of inclusive instruction for children with moderate to significant challenges. The school also has a well developed attitude with parents that "we are in this together."